Swansea City AFCLatest Stories, Video, and Commentary about Swansea City | BBC 30 Jul 18:07
Wayne Routledge scores twice as Swansea seal a comfortable 4-0 victory at Wolves, who named Walter Zenga as head coach hours previously.Latest Stories, Video, and Commentary about Swansea City | BBC 30 Jul 16:48
Actress Catherine Zeta-Jones is honoured by her home city of Swansea for services to the city internationally.ESPN FC - Swansea City News 30 Jul 11:20
The ESPN FC crew look at the latest transfer rumours. The transfer window is in full swing and Premier League clubs have until Aug. 31 to add to their sides. Plenty have been busy in the market, but there's always room for another signing or two. Our ESPN FC bloggers discuss the most realistic and ideal signing their sides can make between now and the deadline. ARSENAL: Pierre-Emerick Aubameyang Riyad Mahrez would be a coup and Arsenal's need for a new centre-back remains clear, but the biggest problem last season was converting the many chances...Latest Stories, Video, and Commentary about Swansea City | BBC 29 Jul 16:03
Northampton Town sign forward Kenji Gorre on loan from Premier League side Swansea City until 21 January.Swansea City – teamtalk.com 29 Jul 14:12
Swansea striker Bafetimbi Gomis has joined Marseille on a season-long loan, the Premier League club has confirmed.
Gomis, 30, who scored seven goals in 35 appearances for Swansea last season, has returned to France to join up with the nine-time Ligue 1 winners.
He is the seventh Swansea player to head out on loan this summer following the departures of Kyle Bartley, Matt Grimes (both Leeds), Ryan Hedges, Liam Shephard (both Yeovil), Josh Vickers (Barnet) and Oliver Davies (Kilmarnock).
Bafetimbi Gomis has left Swansea to join Marseille on a season long loan. Swansea had already sold two strikers this summer by the time Bafetimbi Gomis' loan to Marseille was confirmed. Even Andre Ayew is being heavily linked with a move away. Ayew is technically not even a striker, but is the closest thing Swansea have outside of prospect Oliver McBurnie. The club has no senior strikers. The new season starts in a fortnight. The slow transfer business can at least be partially attributed to the majority shareholder takeover by American investors Jason Levien and Steve...ESPN FC - Swansea City News 29 Jul 13:36
Bafetimbi Gomis returns to Ligue 1 after two seasons in the Premier League. Bafetimbi Gomis has left Swansea to join Marseille on a season-long loan, both clubs have confirmed. Gomis, 30, moved to Swansea on a free transfer from Lyon in 2014 after scoring 56 goals in 120 appearances for the Ligue 1 outfit. But he returns to France with the nine-time Ligue 1 champions having only managed 17 goals in 71 appearances. Marseille said on their official website that Gomis arrives at the club to replace Michy Batshuayi who joined Chelsea this summer, while Swansea added on theirs:...Latest Stories, Video, and Commentary about Swansea City | BBC 29 Jul 13:21
Swansea City's French international striker Bafetimbi Gomis agrees a deal to join Marseille on a season-long loan.Latest Stories, Video, and Commentary about Swansea City | BBC 29 Jul 09:47
Swansea City need to sign a striker to improve morale among the players, management and supporters, says coach Alan Curtis.Swansea City – teamtalk.com 27 Jul 13:13
Manchester United and Liverpool were among a number of Premier League clubs who were missing from the EFL Trophy group-stage draw on WednesdayÂ after rejecting invitations from the Football League to include their academy sides in the revamped competition.
Arsenal, Liverpool, Manchester City, Manchester United and Tottenham all opted against taking part, but the inclusion of Leicester and Chelsea will be considered a boost by the Football League.
It was announced in June that, in an attempt to refresh the competition formerly known as the Johnstone’s Paint Trophy, 16 ‘category one’ academy outfits would be invited to join the 48 sides from League One and League Two.
But a number of teams initially invited passed up the chance to be involved, with fixture clashes and the number of games already played by academy sides among the reasons believed to have been given for the rejections.
Recently-relegated Newcastle joined 15 Premier League sides in being invited but also declined the chance to be involved, with the Football League extending the invitation to other category one academies in order of where the first team finished in the league standings last season.
The five teams who decided not to enter therefore saw their offers given instead to Norwich, Aston Villa, Brighton, Derby and Wolves and, with Villa deciding against taking part, Reading were also welcomed.
The reformatted tournament will see 64 teams split into 16 groups of four, on a north/south regional basis, each containing an invited club and they will play each other once, with the invited club playing one game at home.
The draw, made to little fanfare on Twitter, saw Chelsea grouped with Swindon, Exeter, Oxford.
Leicester will face Sheffield United, Walsall and Football League newcomers Grimsby while Everton meet Bolton, Cheltenham and Blackpool.
One of Coventry, Wycombe or Northampton will get an early look at West Ham’s new Olympic Stadium home, or London Stadium as it will be known.
Swansea landed an all-Welsh tie with Newport as well as games against AFC Wimbledon and Plymouth while Southampton take on Charlton, Colchester and Crawley.
Stoke were grouped with Bradford, Morecambe and Bury, West Brom face Luton, Millwall and Gillingham and Middlesbrough will meet Scunthorpe, Cambridge and Shrewsbury.
Teams will earn three points for a win and a point for a draw, but if the scores are tied after 90 minutes an extra point will go to the winner of a penalty shoot-out.
The group stages will start in the last week of August, with the knock-out rounds beginning at the start of December and the final on April 2, 2017.
The top two from each group will then proceed to a regional knock-out round of 32, with the rounds of 16, eight and four being free draws.
These will all be single ties and will be settled by penalties after 90 minutes, although that may change for the semi-final and Wembley final.
Newcastle said they rejected the offer, having been told from the outset they would not be involved and having therefore made other plans.
“The club was initially informed by the Premier League that it was not going to be invited to compete in the restructured competition,” Newcastle said in a statement.
“Accordingly, the club started to make plans with regard to the development squad for the coming season. These plans included the intention to loan out some of the players who are currently part of the under-23 squad, rather than allowing them to compete in the Premier League 2.
“Changes to the loan system, which come into effect this season, mean all loans must now be completed on a window-to-window basis, with emergency and youth loans no longer permissible. These regulations are a contributory factor to the club’s decision.
“Though Newcastle United did subsequently receive an invite to compete in the EFL Trophy, the club feels their younger players would be better served by going out on loan and gaining experience over an extended period in a first-team environment.
“Although Newcastle United supports the principle of the competition’s new format, participating in the EFL Trophy is not something the club wishes to do this season.”
The post Man Utd and Liverpool missing from EFL Trophy draw appeared first on teamtalk.com.ESPN FC - Swansea City News 27 Jul 11:36
Stamford Bridge will welcome one of Swindon Town, Exeter City or Oxford United. Chelsea's academy team will take on Swindon Town, Exeter City and Oxford United in the group stage of the EFL Trophy. The revamp of the EFL Trophy has been beset by problems since the plan to invite 16 Premier League academies into the competition was announced earlier this year. Supporters of clubs in League One and League Two, whose first teams play in the competition with the final played at Wembley, are angry and believe the Football League are trying to get Premier League "B" teams into...Swansea City – teamtalk.com 26 Jul 15:57
Richard Scudamore has responded to Sam Allardyce’s call for a winter break by revealing his belief it has “more prospects than I can remember”.
He also said, however, that “something has to give” for one to be agreed, and that an agreement cannot be reached until the next Premier League broadcasting deal is discussed in late 2017 at the earliest.
On Monday – Allardyce’s first day as England manager – the 61-year-old said a mid-season break “would help the Premier League and us at international level if we could achieve that”.
FA chief executive Martin Glenn recognised that one could not be in place before the 2019-2020 season. Premier League executive chairman Scudamore has added the organisation remains “open-minded” to it, but that there remain numerous hurdles to overcome.
“There are more prospects for it than I can remember,” said the 56-year-old at the launch of Premier League 2, a competition that will succeed Under-21s football for the 24 teams involved.
“The Football League and the FA, Martin Glenn particularly, wants to see it happen,” added Scudamore.
“We are having discussions but it’s not easy due to the calendar of different competitions. If it can practically work we are up for listening to it. We are open-minded and keen if we can make it work. We have widened it out to the stakeholders with what is possible
“We all know what we have to do to create space and something has to give. It would have to be decided by (the) next TV market (agreement), which is sometime end of 2017, and start of 2018. “
The post Premier League chief ‘open to idea of winter break’ appeared first on teamtalk.com.Swansea City – teamtalk.com 25 Jul 21:11
Stoke have completed the signingÂ of midfielder Joe Allen from Liverpool on a five-year deal, the club has officially announced.
The 26-year-old joins the Potters for a fee of Â£13million, and passed a medical on Monday in order to finalise his move.
After impressing for Wales during Euro 2016 and making the Team of the Tournament, Allen was linked with a summer Anfield exit as his playing time would likely be limited.
— Stoke City FC (@stokecity) July 25, 2016
Stoke’s bid met Liverpool’s valuation of a player with less than 12 months remaining on his contract and means they recouped most of the Â£15million they paid Swansea four years ago.
Allen told the club website: “It’s been a whirlwind 48 hours for me but I am delighted to have finally been able to put pen to paper.
“I was really excited as soon as I heard of the club’s interest and it wasn’t a difficult decision for me to make. I am incredibly excited about my future here at Stoke City.”
Allen will fly out to link up with his new team-mates in Orlando on Tuesday after becoming manager Mark Hughes’ second summer signing, a few hours after Egypt winger Ramadan Sobhi arrived from Al Ahly.
Potters chief executive Tony Scholes added: “Joe is a player that Mark has admired for a considerable amount of time.
“Therefore when we became aware of the possibility of bringing him to the club it was something that we were determined to do.
“We have had to act swiftly to conclude the deal but we are delighted that we have managed to get it over the line.”
The post Allen excited by Stoke after sealing Â£13m Liverpool exit appeared first on teamtalk.com.ESPN FC - Swansea City News 25 Jul 13:49
Andre Ayew impressed in the Premier League last season. Manchester City and Napoli are tracking Swansea City forward Andre Ayew, sources close to the player have told ESPN FC. Ayew, 26, enjoyed a superb debut season at Swansea last term after arriving on a free transfer from Marseille, finishing as the club's top scorer with 12 goals in the Premier League. The attacker's performances for Swansea have not gone unnoticed, with a number of clubs keeping tabs on his situation at the Liberty Stadium as the Ghana international has never hidden his desire to...Swansea City – teamtalk.com 23 Jul 15:09
Swansea’s American investor Jason Levien has confirmed the club’s interest in signing Wales midfielder Joe Allen.
Liverpool this week accepted a Â£13million bid from Stoke for the 26-year-old, but his former club could also feature prominently in the market.
Levien and his fellow American Steve Kaplan head up the consortium that has taken a controlling interest in the Swans, sealing a reported Â£110million deal.
And asked about Allen – a player sold by Swansea to Liverpool for Â£15million in 2012 – at the Liberty Stadium on Friday, Levien said: “He is certainly someone we have discussed.
“Thinking about how additions to the club will fit in with the current structure is something we spend a lot of time on, and he is someone who obviously has a great history here.
“He is still a young player. He is someone who multiple clubs are interested in, us included.
“Huw (Jenkins, Swansea chairman) and I are in ongoing discussions. We are leaning on his (Jenkins’) wisdom, and also the right kind of process to figure out whether that’s the right addition for us, but he is someone we have our eye on.”
Regarding any possible bid for Allen, who shone during Wales’ recent run to the Euro 2016 semi-finals, Levien added: “I think that is something we are discussing, but we haven’t made a definitive bid on him at this point.”
Potential striker recruitment is also high on the Swans’ shopping list, but a successful swoop for Allen would show an immediate statement of intent from the new owners and inevitably thrill club supporters who watched him excel during Wales’ memorable campaign in France.
Levien revealed that the consortium will purchase “about 68 per cent of the club”, and he is relishing life in the Premier League.
“Steve and I both have the benefit of looking at the lessons learnt from other foreign owners – what’s worked and what hasn’t worked – so we can avoid some of those pitfalls,” he added.
“We think the experience that we both have in team ownership, coming into a community that cares deeply about its club and navigating that and trying to lead it towards success, is something we have done in basketball and football in the US.
“This is my fifth season as the manager/general owner of (MLS club) DC United, and I’ve grown and learnt a lot from that experience.
“I think we take all of the lessons and bring them here. Our love of sport and competition are things that drive us.
“I think the Premier League is exploding in terms of its global presence. For us, our focus is on having success here. If we have success on the pitch and do things the right way, I think there is going to be an organic growth.
“We want to think very strategically about the business side of the club, and how we grow that, and that is going to lead to opportunities to enhance the football side of the club.
“We certainly feel like we have the resources. The increased revenue opportunities will help the club. We want to make sure we have the resources to be successful. We also want to make sure we are doing it in a financially sensible way for the long term.
“We don’t want to put the club in jeopardy. We are not going to make decisions that are not helpful to the health of the club, long term.
“If I look at the lessons learnt from other takeovers, other investors, they’ve maybe promised the world and made massive investments in the beginning, and there is no sustainability in that formula.”
The takeover, which received Premier League ratification on July 1, was completed on Thursday night after a press conference to announce the purchase earlier in the day had been postponed because of a dispute between two minority shareholders.
“I think we’ve bought into a club with an exciting history and a tremendous fan-base, and we are thrilled to have the opportunity to be a part of it,” Levien said.
“We want the club to be in a better place in five years. We think we can add some commercial value, and we want the club to flourish on the pitch. How we measure that success will be determined over time.”
The post Investor confirms Swansea among ‘multiple’ Allen suitors appeared first on teamtalk.com.