Aston Villa FC

Aston Villa – teamtalk.com 27 May 13:57

Villa edging closer to Roberto Di Matteo appointment

Aston Villa have moved a step closer to appointing Roberto Di Matteo as manager following further talks with the Italian.

It is understood Di Matteo spoke again on Thursday with Villa chairman Steve Hollis, who now hopes to name the former West Brom and Chelsea boss as Remi Garde’s successor in the coming days.

The 45-year-old has always been the number one choice for prospective new owner Dr Tony Xia. David Moyes and Nigel Pearson were also interviewed for the job but it is thought Di Matteo’s achievements at Chelsea – winning the Champions League in 2012 – were most appealing to Xia as he looks to build Villa’s profile in the Far East.

Di Matteo, who still has a house near Birmingham in Leamington Spa from his time in charge at West Brom, has been out of management since resigning as Schalke boss a year ago.

Meanwhile, Xia’s takeover of the club is also edging closer to completion as it awaits both Premier League and Football League approval.

The Chinese businessman, 39, recently bought Villa from American Randy Lerner, who had been looking to sell since 2014.

Xia needs to pass the customary test in order for his takeover of the club to be completed.

Investigations into Xia’s conglomerate, Recon Group, are being carried out jointly by the Premier League and Football League as Villa, relegated from the top flight this season for the first time in 29 years, do not officially become a Sky Bet Championship club until June.

The post Villa edging closer to Roberto Di Matteo appointment appeared first on teamtalk.com.

Aston Villa F.C. - Latest Team and Transfer News | Mail Online 27 May 13:29

Roberto Di Matteo edges closer to being appointed Aston Villa manager

The 45-year-old has always been the number one choice for prospective new owner Dr Tony Xia after his surprise success in the Champions League and FA Cup with Chelsea in 2012.

ESPN FC - Aston Villa News 27 May 12:57

Aston Villa close in on appointment of Roberto Di Matteo as manager - report

New Aston Villa owner Dr. Tony Xia says he will not interfere with his manager, but he aims for a return to the Premier League. Aston Villa have moved a step closer to appointing Roberto Di Matteo as manager following further talks with the Italian, Press Association Sport has reported. It said Di Matteo has had more discussions with Villa chairman Steve Hollis, who now hopes to name the former West Brom and Chelsea boss as Remi Garde's successor in the coming days. The 45-year-old is reported to be first choice for prospective new owner Dr Tony Xia, whose takeover has yet to be approved. David Moyes and Nigel Pearson were...

Aston Villa – teamtalk.com 27 May 08:48

Paper Talk: Reds eye £25m Saints star; Hazard?s Man Utd link

Liverpool are ready to turn their attention to Sadio Mane after missing out on Mario Gotze, while Eden Hazard is the latest name to be linked with Manchester United, according to Friday’s newspapers.

 

LIVERPOOL TO GO FOR MANE AFTER GOTZE SNUB

Sadio Mane: Southampton forward fit to face Crystal Palace

Liverpool have turned their focus to signing Southampton’s £25million-rated Sadio Mane after failing to land Mario Gotze.

Jurgen Klopp has turned to the Saints winger after top target Mario Gotze made it clear he would prefer to stay at Bayern Munich for another season.

Manchester United tried and failed to sign Mane last summer while Tottenham were also interested in the Senegal speedster.

Mane cost Saints £11.8m from Red Bull Salzburg in 2014.

But Ronald Koeman wants at least double that for one of his star men who last May scored the fastest ever Premier League hat-trick in just two minutes and 56 seconds against Aston Villa.

Liverpool have made a habit of raiding St Mary’s with Adam Lallana, Dejan Lovren, Nathaniel Clyne and Rickie Lambert all moving to Anfield in the last two summers, with both The Guardian and the Daily Star claiming a move for Mane is now top of their agenda.

 

MOURINHO WANTS HAZARD AT UNITED

Jose Mourinho wants to bring Chelsea midfielder Eden Hazard to Manchester United, according to reports in Italy, and as covered in the Daily Express.

The Belgian has been heavily linked with a move away from Chelsea in recent months after a disappointing season in west London.

Paris Saint-Germain and Real Madrid have been credited with interest, while United have also kept tabs on him.

But following the news of Mourinho signing a deal to become United’s new boss, their pursuit of the Belgian has increased rapidly.

According to Italian journalist Emanuele Giulianelli, Mourinho has spoken directly with Hazard over a reunion at Old Trafford.

He tweeted: “Hazard wants to leave Stamford Bridge and Mourinho has spoken directly to him. This is what has happened. #cfc #mufc.”

Earlier on he suggested that a bid between £65million and £75m could be offered to prise him away from Chelsea.

He tweeted: “Mourinho wants Hazard from Chelsea at Manchester United. £65 mln offer could reach £75 mln. First contact with his entourage ok. #mufc #cfc.”

Hazard scored six goals for the Blues last season and is under contract until 2020.

 

 

AND THE REST

Breel Embolo: Wolfsburg see offer rejected

Jack Wilshere shouldn’t go to the Euros with England because he hasn’t played enough, says Sol Campbell (The Sun)

Gareth Bale is ready to emerge from Cristiano Ronaldo’s shadow to become Real Madrid’s star man as he prepares for the Champions League final against Atletico (The Sun)

Tottenham have opened negotiations with Basel forward Breel Embolo, 19, after he scored 21 goals in 61 leagues appearances (Daily Express)

Arsenal midfielder Mesut Ozil has postponed contract talks for a second time and the 27-year-old says he is unwilling to discuss signing a new deal until after Euro 2016 (The Times)

Chelsea goalkeeper Thibaut Courtois, 24, says he will remain at Stamford Bridge next season, despite interest from Real Madrid and Paris St-Germain (Daily Express)

Southampton manager Ronald Koeman is eyeing a swoop for Atalanta’s teenage Ivory Coast international centre-back Franck Kessie (The Sun)

Bournemouth ace Glenn Murray is wanted by Reading, QPR and Fulham (The Sun)

Charlton want Russell Slade to be their boss (The Sun)

Swansea have made a move for AZ Alkmaar’s attacking midfielder Markus Henriksen, 23, who is valued at £6m by the Dutch club (South Wales Evening Post)

Premier League champions Leicester City look like making Sporting Gijon centre-back Luis Hernandez, 27, their first signing of the summer on a free transfer (Leicester Mercury)

Bournemouth are leading the race to sign 18-year-old striker Mikael Ndjoli, who has not offered a professional contract by Millwall (Bournemouth Echo)

Diego Simeone will snub interest from the Premier League to see out his contract with Atletico Madrid (The Sun)

Barcelona full-back Dani Alves, 33, is expected to announce he is joining Serie A champions Juventus on a free transfer signing three-year deal (Daily Mirror)

Everton are planning an offer to tempt Arsenal legend Marc Overmars – the director of football at Ajax – back into English football (Daily Express)

The agent of Martin Skrtel says the 31-year-old defender is “90% sure to leave Liverpool” this summer with Turkish side Besiktas a possible destination (ESPN)

Derby County have interviewed former Leicester City boss Nigel Pearson about becoming the club’s new manager (The Times)

Chelsea will block any attempts by Mourinho to sign Brazilian midfielder Willian, 27, who has been linked with a £60m move to the Red Devils (London Evening Standard)

Liverpool and Wales midfielder Joe Allen, 26, who has been linked with Swansea, says if any interested clubs want to talk to him, he is “not going to pie them” (The Sun)

Sporting Lisbon midfielder Joao Mario, 23, says he is focused on playing for Portugal at Euro 2016 after reported interest from Manchester United and Chelsea (Daily Express)

Piotr Zielinski’s proposed move to Liverpool from Udinese is in danger of collapsing, the Poland international midfielder’s agent has revealed (Daily Star)

Alessandro Florenzi: Linked with move to United

Jose Mourinho wants to sign Roma pair Alessandro Florenzi and Kostas Manolas (Daily Star)

Arsenal are bracing themselves for a summer bid from Barcelona for full-back Hector Bellerin (Daily Star)

Pep Guardiola has told Manchester City chiefs they need eight new starters as he plots his summer overhaul (Daily Mirror)

Man City midfielder Yaya Toure, 33, has rejected offers of £30m from two Chinese Super League clubs and is also not interested in joining Serie A side Inter Milan (The Guardian)

Raheem Sterling, signed from Liverpool for £47m, is fearing for his Man City future under Pep Guardiola due to a crisis of confidence (Daily Mirror)

Chelsea are confident of beating competition from Manchester United to resign their former striker Romelu Lukaku from Everton (Daily Mirror)

Gary Cahill has become another injury worry for England after it emerged he needs painkilling injections to allow him to play (Daily Mirror)

Roberto Di Matteo is set to be given the task of rebuilding relegated Aston Villa (Daily Mirror)

Roma have joined West Ham in the pursuit of Newcastle star Georginio Wijnaldum, with his agent confirming the player has to think about his future (Daily Mail)

Arsenal have tabled a £1.2m bid for Bolton defender Rob Holding, with the League One club considering Chris Powell and Nigel Adkins for the manager’s job (Daily Mail)

Liverpool are considering a summer approach for Dinamo Zagreb’s Ante Coric, with Chelsea and Manchester City also in the race for the Croatia Under-21 international midfielder (Daily Mail)

The post Paper Talk: Reds eye £25m Saints star; Hazard’s Man Utd link appeared first on teamtalk.com.

Aston Villa F.C. - Latest Team and Transfer News | Mail Online 27 May 01:10

Roberto Di Matteo inching closer to being named the next Aston Villa manager

Roberto Di Matteo edged closer to the Aston Villa job after holding productive talks with chairman Steve Hollis on Thursday. Di Matteo could even be appointed in the next 48 hours.

Aston Villa – teamtalk.com 25 May 20:15

New Villa owner ?sees no issues? with Fit and Proper Person test

New Aston Villa owner Tony Xia is confident he will pass the Premier League and Football League’s fit and proper person test.

The Chinese businessman, 39, this week bought Villa from American Randy Lerner, who had been looking to sell since 2014.

Xia needs to pass the customary test in order for his takeover of the club to be completed.

Investigations into Xia’s conglomerate, Recon Group, are being carried out jointly by the Premier League and Football League as Villa, relegated from the top flight this season, do not officially become a Sky Bet Championship club until June.

Xia does not foresee any problems and told the Telegraph: “I think there is no way, and not any excuse, that they should turn me down because I am a person who is doing everything legally.

“I am enthusiastic for the club and I will devote myself to it and I am responsible to take it over.

“There is no reason they will disapprove of that.”

Keith Wyness, Chris Samuelson and Jamie Banfill, who are all expected to form part of the new board at Villa, will also need to pass the owners and directors’ test so it is unknown how long it may be before Xia’s takeover can be finalised.

One issue that may be resolved before the purchase of the club is completed is the identity of the new manager with former West Brom and Chelsea boss Roberto Di Matteo Xia’s preferred choice, although ex-Leicester manager Nigel Pearson also remains an option.

The post New Villa owner ‘sees no issues’ with Fit and Proper Person test appeared first on teamtalk.com.

ESPN FC - Aston Villa News 25 May 16:37

Aston Villa owner Tony Xia confident of passing fit and proper person test

New Aston Villa owner Dr. Tony Xia says he will not interfere with his manager, but he aims for a return to the Premier League. New Aston Villa owner Tony Xia is confident he will pass the Premier League and Football League's fit and proper person test. The Chinese businessman, 39, this week bought Villa from American Randy Lerner, who had been looking to sell since 2014. Xia needs to pass the customary test in order for his takeover of the club to be completed. Investigations into Xia's conglomerate, Recon Group, are being carried out jointly by the Premier League and Football League as Villa, relegated from the top flight...

Aston Villa F.C. - Latest Team and Transfer News | Mail Online 24 May 23:41

Idrissa Gana Gueye set to snub Marseille as Aston Villa midfielder seeks to extend stay in England

The Aston Villa midfielder wants to stay in the Premier League despite continued interest from Marseille. The 26-year-old has a release clause set at £7.1million.

Aston Villa F.C. - Latest Team and Transfer News | Mail Online 23 May 23:32

Roberto Di Matteo set for another round of talks with Aston Villa over manager's job after David Moyes rules himself out

Villa plan fresh discussions with Di Matteo in the next 24 hours after David Moyes ruled himself out of the running for the managerial vacancy. The Italian has impressed new owner Dr Tony Xia.

Aston Villa F.C. - Latest Team and Transfer News | Mail Online 23 May 18:06

Aston Villa face fight with Newcastle and Norwich for £12million Ross McCormack

The 29-year-old has a £12million clause in his contract but that hasn't deterred Villa who want a proven goalscorer to get them out of the Championship.

Aston Villa – teamtalk.com 23 May 17:50

Moyes withdraws from Aston Villa running ? reports

David Moyes has withdrawn his name from the running to become the new Aston Villa manager after assessing his options over the weekend, according to reports.

The former Everton and Manchester United boss was on a shortlist of three alongside Roberto Di Matteo and Nigel Pearson, but is said to contacted the club to rule himself out of the job at the now-Championship club.

A whole host of sources, including the BBC and the Telegraph, claim that the 53-year-old is not willing to take on the Villa Park hot-seat.

Former Leicester chief Pearson is reportedly the choice of current chairman Steve Hollis, but he is expected to leave the club next month when Chinese investors take over the club.

David Moyes has pulled out of the running to become the new Aston Villa manager.https://t.co/g32ztt1cyp pic.twitter.com/RNV5Ag4biA

— BBC Sport (@BBCSport) May 23, 2016

One of the attractions of the Villa job for Moyes was the prospect of working again with Keith Wyness, who is soon to be appointed as Villa’s chief executive.

He held the same role at Everton for five years, during which time he worked alongside Moyes.

The post Moyes withdraws from Aston Villa running – reports appeared first on teamtalk.com.

Latest Stories, Video, and Commentary about Aston Villa | BBC 23 May 14:29

Moyes out of running for Villa job

David Moyes rules himself out of the running to be Aston Villa's new manager after being interviewed last week, BBC Sport understands.

Aston Villa – teamtalk.com 23 May 12:06

Cast your vote in the eighth annual TEAMtalk Soccers awards

Our annual TEAMtalk Soccers awards ceremony is just around the corner and we want you, our readers, to cast your votes for the best and worst of the season.

Now into his eighth year, our TEAMtalk Soccers are your chance to have your say about everything that was good and bad about the 2015/16 campaign.

The ceremony begins next Monday May 30 and runs each day until Friday June 10 – with the winner (or loser) of each category revealed on a daily basis.

We’ll have 10 awards to hand out – so have a think and let us know your votes about each of the following:

– Player of the Season

(2015 winner: Eden Hazard)

– Young player of the Season

(2015 winner: Harry Kane)

– Manager of the Season

(2015 winner: Ronald Koeman)

– European Player of the Season

(2015 winner: Lionel Messi)

– Goal of the Season

(2015 winner: Charlie Adam v Chelsea)

– Failure of the Season

(2015 winner: Liverpool’s transfer committee)

– Game of the Season

(2015 winner: Leicester 5 Man Utd 3)

– Moment of the Season

(2015 winner: FIFA corruption scandal)

– Signing of the Season

(2015 winner: Alexis Sanchez)

– World XI of the Season

 

All your votes count, so let us know your thoughts now….

The post Cast your vote in the eighth annual TEAMtalk Soccers awards appeared first on teamtalk.com.

ESPN FC - Aston Villa News 20 May 22:08

New Villa owner aims for Prem top six

New Aston Villa owner Dr. Tony Xia says he will not interfere with his manager, but he aims for a return to the Premier League.

ESPN FC - Aston Villa News 20 May 19:11

David Ginola 'fine' after quadruple heart bypass operation

Former France player David Ginola was reportedly airlifted to a hospital in France after collapsing. David Ginola declared himself "fine" on Friday after regaining consciousness following a quadruple heart bypass operation overnight. A tweet from Ginola's account said he had "never slept better'' after his dramatic collapse while playing football on Thursday. The 49-year-old former Newcastle and Tottenham winger was attending a celebrity golf tournament in Mandelieu on the French Riviera. Hello world, never slept better. I'm fine, just need to rest a bit. Thank you so much all of you for your...

Latest Stories, Video, and Commentary about Aston Villa | BBC 20 May 16:42

Ginola has quadruple heart bypass

Former France winger David Ginola, 49, is recovering in hospital after quadruple heart bypass surgery.

ESPN FC - Aston Villa News 20 May 15:59

New Aston Villa owner Tony Jiantong Xia considers rebranding Villa Park

Aston Villa's home, Villa Park, opened in 1897. New Aston Villa owner Dr Tony Jiantong Xia is considering plans to rebrand Villa Park upon completion of his takeover of the club, according to a report in the Beijing Times. The Chinese businessman, 39, this week bought Villa from American Randy Lerner, who had been looking to sell since 2014. As part of the drive to try to get Villa promoted back to the Premier League as soon as possible, Xia is considering changing the name of the Villa Park -- the club's home since 1897 -- possibly to incorporate...

Latest Stories, Video, and Commentary about Aston Villa | BBC 19 May 16:56

Villa boss to get 'up to £50m' to spend

New Aston Villa owner Dr Tony Xia says the club's next manager will be given up to £50m to spend, with Roberto di Matteo a candidate.

Latest Stories, Video, and Commentary about Aston Villa | BBC 18 May 20:33

Chinese businessman agrees Villa deal

Chinese businessman Dr Tony Xia agrees a deal to buy Aston Villa for £60m following their relegation to the Championship.

Latest Stories, Video, and Commentary about Aston Villa | BBC 18 May 09:00

Villa sale may happen by end of week

A Chinese businessman could complete a £60m takeover of Aston Villa by the end of the week, the BBC's Pat Murphy reports.

Current Table



background image